Friday, November 3, 2017

WSPC'S SESSION NOTES NOVEMBER 2017

FROM THE DJ'S STUDIO DESK:

At this time, especially within a year so precariously on the edge, I am compelled to give thanks.

First and foremost, I am thankful for my family, my wife, my parents, my cats--I only wish for their continued health and security, for the world would not be the same without any one of them, a reality that I know is forthcoming but for now, I am thankful to say that they are all remaining as strong as possible within my life.

With regards to the subject matter of this blogsite,  I remain forever thankful to music itself, the art form that has communicated with me so powerfully and beautifully for the entirety of my life ad it continues to sustain, soothe, and enrapture me ever still. May this feeling never leave me.

I give thanks to my dear friend Steve Manley, Dave Zero as well as the respective staff and proprietors of Madison's record store community which consists of B-Side Records, Mad City Music Exchange, Strictly Discs, and Sugar Shack. All of these people and places have allowed me to continue the journey of musical discoveries that I have loved so very much for so much of my life. None of these places exist as mere "stores" to me. These are establishments of community and connection that are essential to the sharing, exposure and even the survival of music itself. No hyperbole. It's simply the truth as I see and feel it.

I give thanks to the Chicago radio stations and DJs that were instrumental with my life long love of music combined with healthy fantasies of life on the other side of the radio speakers, fantasies that came true during my college radio years with WLHA-FM.

With that, I give thanks to Dave Black and the DJ staff and crew of Madison's WSUM-FM, the beautiful phoenix that rose valiantly from the ashes of WLHA, for all of their support and willingness to host the "WLHA Resurrection/Reunion Weekends" for five years running at this time. These glorious weekends have not only served as a means to return to the radio airwaves as an adult and to provide a link from the past to the present, while also acquainting myself with like-minded spirits who served as DJs long before the possibilities ever occurred themselves to me.

These weekends, so lovingly organized by 'LHA veterans Kevin Peckham and Kevin Ruppert, have afforded me, best of all, to re-connect with three extremely special women, all of whom I connected with due to our shared experiences at WLHA: Kelly Klaschus, Sue Grass and Lisa Grueneberg. So thankful and blessed am I to have found my life intertwined with theirs, initially forged through a love of music and radio. They are essential members of my personal tribe.

Speaking of which, I must give thanks to the local DJs that have, and will always, continue to inspire me, as they all weave radio spells that make me want to perform better and better. I salute "Freak Scene Radio" host Randy Ballwahn, "The Heavy Petting Zoo" host Grandma Cyd (whom I was thrilled to meet this year as she is quite lovely) and of course, "The Mixtape" host DJ Nightway (also, someone whom I just recently met and was just sent sky high in the process), as all of them continuously ensure that the world of radio remains creative, innovative, inviting, adventurous and inspirational.

And all of this gratitude leads me to give crucial, bottomless thanks to Lindsay Wood Davis and Tom Teuber (with whom I still need to grab that drink as he was behind the scenes of my radio development in more ways than I could have ever imagined) for allowing me to become a part of WVMO 98.7 FM-THE VOICE OF MONONA with my weekly show "Savage Radio," a program which is about to reach its 2nd anniversary on the air as well as its 100th episode.

There are no  guarantees to anything in life, especially second chances or opportunities. There was nothing written in the stars that suggested that I would have the chance to return to radio and with each episode I am able to deliver, my appreciation with being able to have the privilege of being a DJ is not lost upon me whatsoever. It has been nothing that was required to be given to me.

Opportunities presented themselves and thankfully, here I am as a member of this wonderful, low power, award winning radio station that has worldwide reach (still so unbelievable as the small-ness of the station always makes me feel that what I am doing is quite intimate and just presented to a few friends whom I know are tuning in). I am so thankful to be in the company of people like 'VMO DJs "British Invasion And Beyond" host Jim Gunderson, "Vintage Vinyl Hour" host David Cobb, "The Prog Rock Hour" host Fred Sperry, "Roulette" host DJ Dukemar and again, so many other like minded members of our distinctive tribe.

I give thanks to all of the live music venues around the city who have also worked heroically to bring another form of community and communion into reality and I also give thanks to the local artists that I have been able to meet and become befriended with over these few years. From Post Social, Dash Hounds, Disq, Kainalu, Trophy Dad, Wood Chickens, The Wilder Deitz Group, Squarewave, Bobby Hussy, David Poole, Skyline Sounds Thompson Springs, Slow Pulp, The German Art Students, Melkweed and even more, I salute ALL of you for the fearless, joyous purity of your work has made me fall in love with music all over again and again and again.

And most importantly, I am thankful for all of YOU. All of you who have visited this blogsite for three years, all of you who have listened to my radio show, all of you who just love the art and universe of music just as I do. If not for YOU, music would fade into the ether. If not for YOU...just as George Harrison once sang.

Continue to listen, to love, to appreciate, to celebrate...and as always...

PLAY LOUD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment